This post may contain affiliate links, which means I make commission (at no cost to you!)
if you purchase through the link. Read our affiliate disclosure here.
Do you shop at Dollar Tree? If you don’t you’ll definitely want to after reading this money-saving post! I love Dollar Tree for many reasons, the #1 reason being I always find amazing deals on items that cost way more at other retailers. My dollar goes a lot farther $1 at a time when I shop at Dollar Tree.
What do I buy at Dollar Tree? Pretty much everything I can! It’s my first stop for so many items, and I am rarely disappointed. In fact, there is not a Dollar Tree anywhere near our house in Michigan and it drives me nuts having to buy items for 2, 3, 4 times the price of what I would pay at Dollar Tree.
Dollar Tree + Coupons
If you are a couponer you probably already know that Dollar Tree accepts manufacturer coupons. If you are not a couponer, you’re going to be shocked that by using coupons at Dollar Tree you can get items for up to 50% off on a regular basis and sometimes even for free! You should read their entire coupon policy here, but the highlights are as follows:
- Manufacturer coupons are accepted. Internet printable coupons have a 2 per day per person limit.
- Size matters- look for coupons that don’t have size restrictions on the product because a lot of products at Dollar Tree are small sizes.
- If you have a coupon for $1.50 off Product X, the coupon value will be reduced to $1.00. The item will be free, but you won’t make $.50. If you have a coupon for $2.00 off 2 Product X both items will be free!
- You can use 4 of the same coupons per day. (One per item- no doubling up.)
- Coupons for free items are only accepted if a purchase is required to get one free (for example, Buy One Get One Free offers).
Easy peasy- but like I said, be sure to read the entire policy here because knowing the store policy is rule # 1 in couponing. Are you surprised Dollar Tree carries national brands? They sure do! Why spend $8 on something at Target that you can spend $1 on at Dollar Tree? It’s literally THE SAME THING. Ok, I lied. It’s not the same thing- it’s a lot cheaper or free.
You may also like these money posts:
National Brands You May Find Coupons For
These are the brands I spotted at my Dollar Tree. Your location may or may not have these brands, and they may have additional brands not listed. You can check Coupon Tom to see if any coupons are available. (Don’t forget sizes matter so be sure the coupon you’re using is on the intended item size.) If you have spotted additional national brands please let me know in the comments and I’ll update this post!
- Old Orchard
- Steam Fresh
- Jose Ole
- Swiss Miss
- Arm N Hammer
- Goo Gone
- Yes To
- Meow Mix
- Speed Stick
- Right Guard
- Scotch tape
- Soft Soap
- Yes To
Do You Have to Use Coupons to Get a Great Deal?
Nope, not at all! That’s one of the great things about Dollar Tree- you can still get great deals without using coupons.
Do I use coupons? No, I do not. I used to be a huge couponer. I was the lady with the enormous binder you did not want to be in line behind at the checkout. But then the deals dried up and it got to be more effort than I had time for. But now that it’s just me and hubby at home I should really get back into it on a smaller level.
Ok, let’s get to shopping and saving! Remember every penny saved is money you can use for other items or save for a rainy day! What would you do with extra money? Start a vacation fund, pay off an annoying bill, have an extra date night every now and again. It’s your money, you can do whatever you want! You’ll be feeling like this in no time-
What to Buy at Dollar Tree
1. Gift Wrapping Supplies
Dollar Tree is my absolute “go to” for gift wrapping supplies.
What to buy:
- tissue paper
- bows and embellishments
- gift bags
- oversized gift bags (for wrapping gift baskets & other extra large items)
- gift boxes – for shirts, small items, and especially smaller jewelry sized boxes
- bag filler (the crinkly shredded paper stuff)
- greeting cards – they are mostly 2/$1, but they do have a newer line that is $1 each. The cards are nicer and funnier/more thoughtful, in my opinion.
- helium balloons
2. Medicine, First Aid & Pregnancy Tests
- ibuprofen (40ct) – for comparison, the 160ct bottle at Target is just under $10
- triple antibiotic
- pregnancy tests – I have never used one, but everyone says they are as accurate as brands costing $18+
- character bandages – for comparison, Target has a 7ct Paw Patrol box for $2.79, whereas Dollar Tree has a 20ct Minions box for $1
- bandages, 30ct fabric – for comparison, Band-Aid brand 30ct fabric bandages at Target are $4.49
- 21pc First Aid kit – perfect to have in your car
- theater candy
- 2L pop – Faygo brand, perfect for parties and “spritzer” mixes
- frozen veggies
- Yoohoo chocolate drinks
- Old Orchard juice
- Hunts ketchup
- Guldens mustard
- Whales – the Dollar Tree equivalent to Goldfish crackers
4. Baby Food & Supplies
- Gerber baby food
- baby lotion
- baby shampoo
- baby bath
5. Cleaning Supplies
- Awesome brand cleaners – these really are “awesome” products
- The Works toilet cleaner
- sponges – 2pk, comparable to Scotch Brite
- scrub brushes
- dish soap
- Renuzit air freshener
- Comet or Ajax cleanser
6. Pet Supplies
poop bags(Update: These have changed and are TERRIBLE now! I threw them away & no longer suggest purchasing these.)
- food/water dishes
Read more on Page 2!