This post may contain affiliate links, which means I make commission (at no cost to you!)
if you purchase through the link. Read our affiliate disclosure here.
You know the story- you’re out & about and all of the sudden you see something fun you’d like to do but you don’t have what you need to have some spontaneous fun! Well, not this year! This is the year of living in the moment, but in order to do that a little planning is called for. You need a “go bag” for your car! Of course this doesn’t have to be a bag. It could be a storage container or a tub. What the stuff goes in is less important than what’s in it.
So let’s put together a list of essentials for your go bag for your car.
First, you’ll need something to hold your stuff. I think a backpack is best because it’s easy to carry a backpack around. If you have kids I would commandeer their backpack from this school year (because you know they will “need” a new one in August) and use that. If you don’t have kids, these lightweight foldable backpacks are perfect for the job.
If you don’t want to use a backpack a small storage box or a plastic tub will work.
Items to Pack in Your Go Bag
- bandaids & wound cleaner, such as Neosporin or antiseptic pads, and a pair of tweezers
- baby wipes/ handi-wipes
- empty reusable water bottles
- blanket for impromptu picnicking
- gym shoes & socks, extra flip-flops in case yours break
- plastic shopping bags
- $20- you never know when you’ll find the cutest ice cream store ever, or a lake with paddle boats, or a strawberry patch…that only takes cash.
- beach or bag chairs
- a book
- baby powder (to easily remove sand from skin!)
If you have kids, consider adding these additional items:
- swimsuits & beach towels (you never know when you’ll happen upon a splash pad!)
- swim diapers if you have little littles
- a change of clothes (and shoes) for each child
- a sweatshirt or lightweight jacket for each child
- bubbles, chalk, water toys
- hair brush & ponytail holders
Think back to previous summers when you’ve had to pass on an opportunity to have fun because you didn’t have ________ – and then make sure it’s in your car bag!
Did I miss anything? If you have a great idea, let me know in the comments!