This post may contain affiliate links, which means I make commission (at no cost to you!)
if you purchase through the link. Read our affiliate disclosure here.
This is the easiest meal you will ever make. (Well, maybe not PB&J easy, but pretty darn easy!) This is my go-to dinner when the day is off to a crazy start and I know it’s not going to improve. Considering how shockingly simple it is, it’s amazing the family raves about it, because it is e a s y.
All you need is 1 pound +/- chicken breasts, chicken base, and a package of chicken gravy. (Original recipe here.) I usually triple this recipe because it makes for great leftovers, but today I only had enough ingredients on hand to make a single recipe.
Rinse your chicken breasts and trim off any fat. Put the chicken breasts, 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon chicken base in your slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. I told you it is easy!
When the chicken is fully cooked, shred it with forks in the slow cooker pot with the juices, or transfer the chicken and juices to the bowl of a stand mixer and shred using the paddle attachment.
Make the packet of chicken gravy as the instructions instruct.
Serve over mashed potatoes (have you tried the refrigerated Simply mashed potatoes or the Bob Evans mashed potatoes? Omgggg so good and so easy!) or with rice. Add a side of veggies and a salad (or not, after all, this has been a crazy day!) and call it dinner!
We always have the chicken over mashed potatoes with the gravy on top with a salad and maybe a roll. So delish! You will not be disappointed, especially given that it takes less than 10 minutes total to prep, shred, make the gravy & serve.
LOOKS LIKE HAPPY’S FAVORITE TIPS, TRICKS AND KITCHENWARE:
- Tip: Shop sales, and base your recipes around what’s on sale. If you find a *really* good buy and the product can be frozen or has a long shelf life, now is the time to stock up!
- Short on storage space? Think about adding a storage bench to your décor. My kids sat on a goldmine of snacks for *years* before they realized their bench at the dining table was storage. Just be sure to choose one with a seat that can be wiped off or with a darker, busy pattern to hide kid stains.
- Meal prep (see our “Meal Prep Like a Pro” series below) to save yourself tons of time and stress during the week.
- Consider investing in a slow cooker that is programmable, has a time, and switches to “warm” once your dish is cooked. I have this one and I love it!
- If you don’t have a nice sheet pan, these are fantastic. They are very well made and don’t “buckle” in the heat of the oven. They are super easy to clean (and dishwasher friendly!!) too. We use them all the time- they are great for making no-mess bacon!
- Make dinners you can double.
- Freeze one for another week.
- Package leftovers for work lunches.
These posts are loaded with recipes that are quick to put together, easy to make and SO GOOD! Dinner is served!
Meal Prep Like a Pro With These 10 Yummy Recipes
Meal Prep Like a Pro- Part Two: 10 Awesome Recipes to Try This Month
Meal Prep Like a Pro: Part Three- The Lunch List
10 Easy Dinners for Busy Weeknights
Super Easy Dinners For Super Busy Weeknights