This post may contain affiliate links. Read our affiliate disclosure here.
Summer is here! Well, maybe not *technically* but it’s close. We had a brutal winter in western Michigan (although I’m told by everyone around here that it “wasn’t bad,” I disagree) with day after day of icy cold, high winds, snow, snow, more snow, hail, snow, a weird ice storm (in APRIL) and more cold than I prefer. I thought Chicago was bad! After months of looking at a snow covered frozen lake, I am beyond pleased that it is S~U~M~M~E~R! It’s already in the 90s, so we are bracing for a hot one!
Since we live on a lake, my hair is in a constant ponytail. I am not the type of girl who goes on the boat with her hair down. My neighbor’s daughter is able to pull it off fabulously- long hair blowing in the wind as she skis past and comes in for a shore landing with hardly getting wet…. Not me. For one, I don’t ski. For two, if I did, I’m positive I’d hit the dock if I attempted that. <clutz>
This past Memorial weekend the lake was packed with people with Cute Summer Hair and I felt a little bleh in my standard ponytail so I thought I should look into bumping it up a notch before the next crowd comes through. Of course I turned to Pinterest, and of course I found the BEST hair styles for summer! Cute, “up” in some manner, and perfect for hot days around town, at a lake or at the beach.
Enjoy! These are super fun!
I think starting with a style that is clearly at the beach is the only way to start this hairstyle collection! I love this messy, loose, wide fishtail braid. It’s a great way to keep every hair in place, but maintain a super summer casual look.Barefoot Blonde Hair on Instagram
I love this low messy bun with an easy twist on the side! It’s low enough for a baseball cap or a floppy beach hat, which is perfect for full days at the beach!@ellasbridalhair
This messy bun is great for long hair! The tutorial at Sitting in our Tree actually looks pretty easy (some of them definitely are not!) and I think I could pull this off. I like that it is totally up and off of her neck.
Who doesn’t love a French braid! They look so fancy, but are pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it. Super fun for summer!
If you’re not one for wearing your hair completely up, this half up top not is fun! Beachy, tousled waves definitely say “beach.”
This is a fun twist on a simple pony tail! Super easy and quick to do, this little braid will surely get compliments.
This messy, chunky, low fishtail braid is perfect for the beach! Out of the way and messy enough to get messier, it’s perfect for the sand and drinks at a beachside bar.
If you have short-shoulder length hair, it can be difficult to keep it from falling into your eyes. This cute side braid will help keep your hair out of the way all day and is perfect for summer, too.
I am loving these “all tied up” hair styles with these gorgeous scarves! This is a perfect for hot days (and nights) around town. You could have so much fun collecting vintage scarves, too!
Styles that look “undone” are perfect for boating- after an hour on a boat it’s going to look undone no matter what you do! This low, messy pony knot with two side braids is great on a boat or with a cute sundress for a picnic at the park.
Ten styles that are pretty cute and super fun! Which is your favorite? I’m definitely going to look for some vintage silk scarves the next time I go thrifting! That would be a really easy way to take my usual pony up a level.
Looks Like Happy’s Favorite Hair Things:
- MetaGrip BOB Pins – these no slip bobby pins come in three colors to match dark, medium and light colored hair. These are about as “no slip” as it gets!
- If you want your hair to stay put, without it looking like you’ve stepped back into the 80’s, Amika makes a “touchable” hairspray that does the trick. (My gf and I call our hairsprayed hair our “shield of confidence,” LOL!)
- Good old Goody brand ponytail holders are still my favorite rubber band. I have hundreds of them in a jar in my bathroom so I am never stuck with a ratty old one that is about to snap at the worst possible time.
- This 2-in-1 styling tool tames the flyaways and ads a little curl where you want it. (WHen I was looking for this one I found one that is also a crimping tool. Can someone PLEASE tell me crimped hair is not coming back? Please.)
- Check out these perfect scarves from Amazon! 12 scarves for under $16? Ummm, yes, add to cart. I love the one with the orange edge! Any one of these would be great for this cute summer ‘do, and some could even carry it into fall. <love>
- Tip: Did you know a magnetic paperclip holder can be used for a bobby pin holder? Sure can!
Want more? Check out our Beauty and Fashion Pinterest board and these related posts: